The U.S is highly appreciated with its excellent social security policies. Permanent residents can enjoy these benefits. RSCC provides useful information about social security policies for EB-5 permanent residents based on USCIS information.

Register Social Security Number (SSN)

SSN is really important since people can seek for jobs and enjoy social security benefits and other U.S Government services with their SSN. A permanent resident is qualified to apply for SSN. SSN helps the government keep track your income and benefits.

To apply for SSN, please contact Social Security Administration (SSA). Visit to find a social security office nearby or call 1-800-772-1213 or 1-800-325-0778 (7am to 7pm).
SSA can provide an interpreter to assist you if you do not speak English.

Apply for SSN in case:

– You do not register a Social Security Number or Card when applying for a visa;
– You applied for a visa by October 2002; or
– You are under 18 when arriving in the U.S.

Required documents when applying for SSN:

– Birth certificate or others such as passport indicating date of birth and place of birth.
– Documents showing the immigration status, including work permits in the U.S, Permanent Resident Cards, passports or visas.

All needed information for the SSN application will be sent to SSA by Department of State and Department of Homeland Security. SSA will issue a Social Security number/card and send it to you via your registered address. You will receive your social security card within three weeks after arriving in the U.S.

Policies related to SSN for permanent residents

1. Education

– In the U.S, children are enrolled with free-of-charge at public schools from kindergartens to 12th grade.
– If the school is too far away or not safe for walking, children can go by bus, subway or train. Many public schools offer free pick-up buses or provide monthly student passes (free/discount).
– Public schools often provide free textbooks.
– The U.S Government provides low-cost or free nutritious meals to more than 26 million children per day at schools. Based on the family’s income and condition, schools will determine whether your children are eligible or not.
– At the end of the 12th grade, students are admitted to college or university with tuition fees equivalent to only one quarter of the fees for international students.
– The U.S government has federal financial aids covering expenses such as tuition, room rental, meals, books and travelling. There are three types:

Grants: financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid
Work-study: a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school.
Loans: borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest.

For more information, please call 1-800-433-3243 or visit the website of Department of Education at
After the graduation, children can live and work in the U.S permanently without any government limitations.

2. Health services

Health care services are expensive health care, so it is great that employers pay for health insurance. That could be considered as allowances for their employees. Some employers also pay 100% for their employees’ monthly health insurance premiums. However, some pay for partial costs. You can also have the state or federal health care assistance. The states provide support to children in low-income families, pregnant women and disabled people.

In case of emergency, you can go to the nearest emergency room for treatment. According to the federal law, the emergency departments at hospitals must treat individuals who are in danger even if they are affordable or not. However, health care providers may bill for the provided services.
Most communities have at least one health care facility to offer free or low-cost services. These are called clinics or community health centers.

3. Employment services

The federal government has its resources to help you find jobs, create your resume, and prepare for job interviews. Federal laws prohibit employers from discriminating against race, color, religion, sex (including pregnant women), nation, age, disabilities,…The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) assures safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance.

4. Others federal aids

You and your family members can have other federal aids which depends on your immigration status, how long you live in the U.S, and your income.
You can visit to find out more about the services available to you.

Federal and state health care programs
Medicare is a health insurance plan for people at the ages of 65 and above or under 65 who are disabled or at end stage renal disease. Medicare pays for basic care services if you are sick or injured.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
For some immigrants, including eligible children, SNAP sponsors you to buy food at grocery stores. Some states have their state food stamp program with some other eligible requirements.

Domestic Violence Support
Immigrants and their children, who are victims of domestic violence, may be eligible for federal aids, such as temporary shelters, SNAP.

Temporary assistance program for families in need
A federal program to fund the state to help and create employment opportunities for low-income families. Programs vary from state to state, and some states have their own state-funded assistance program.

Disabled immigrant support
Disabled immigrants can be eligible for Medicaid, SNAP, and Supplemental Security Income
See website:

Comprehensive career centers
The federal government sponsors career centers that provide guidance, advice, job listing, and other employment-related services. The courses of ESL and skill training are also available to immigrants at some centers.
See website or

With above information, RSCC hopes you have a clear understanding of your benefits when immigrating into the U.S. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Related News

error: Content is protected !!