EB-5 – PATH TO U.S. CITIZENSHIP
Naturalization under EB-5 investment brings investors several certain risks. However, when you are granted for the permanent Green Card, the path to U.S. citizenship is getting easier. The purpose of this article is to describe the path to U.S. citizenship for EB-5 investors.
Why to become U.S. Citizenship?
As a permanent resident, you have most of the rights of U.S. citizens. However, there are many important reasons to consider U.S. citizenship. Citizenship offers new rights and privileges, but comes with equally important responsibilities. As a citizen you can:
- Vote: Only citizens can vote in federal elections.
- Serve on a jury: Only U.S. citizens can serve on a federal jury. Serving on a jury is an important responsibility for U.S. citizens.
- Travel with a U.S. passport: A U.S. passport enables you to get assistance from the U.S. government when overseas, if necessary.
- Bring family members to the U.S.: S. citizens generally get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to this country.
- Obtain citizenship for children under 18 years of age: In most cases, a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a U.S. citizen.
- Apply for federal jobs: Certain jobs with government agencies require U.S. citizenship.
- Become an elected official: Only citizens can run for federal office (U.S. Senate or House of Representatives) and for most state and local offices.
- Keep your residency: A U.S. citizen’s right to remain in the United States cannot be taken away.
- Become eligible for federal grants and scholarships: Many financial aid grants, including college scholarships and funds given by the government for specific purposes, are available only to U.S. citizens.
- Obtain government benefits: Some government benefits are available only to U.S. citizens
General Eligibility Requirements
Before you apply, you must meet a few requirements. Depending on your situation, different requirements may apply to you.
- Be at least 18 years old at the time you file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
- Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.
- Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately before the date you file Form N-400.
- Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately before the date you file Form N-400.
- Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply.
- Be a person of good moral character.
- Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
- Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
- Take an oath of allegiance to the United States.
Naturalization Through Permanent Green Cards
Naturalization under EB-5 investment brings investors several certain risks. However, when you are granted for the permanent Green Card, the path to U.S. citizenship is getting easier.
Step 1: Determine if you are already a U.S. citizen.
Step 2: Submit Form N-400 (Application for Naturalization) along with the necessary documents to demonstrate your eligibility for naturalization.
Step 3: Go to the bio-metrics appointment, if applicable. USCIS sends an appointment notice that will include your bio-metrics appointment date, time, and location.
Step 4: Complete the interview. Once all the preliminary processes on your case are complete, USCIS will schedule an interview with you to complete the naturalization process. You must report to the USCIS office at the date and time on your appointment notice. Please bring the appointment notice with you.
Step 5: Receive a decision from USCIS on your Form N-400, it could be granted and denied.
Step 6: Take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States and receive your Certificate of Naturalization if your application is granted
EB-5 – the path to U.S. citizenship – is the most option of foreign investors to become U.S citizen, aiming to the free living and working in the most powerful in the world. Please do not hesitate to contact us.